Mike Furman | National Corvette Specialist | Order Corvettes Nationwide at Criswell Corvette
Coming Soon! 2015 Z06 — Available Spring 2015.
Now Accepting Z06 Deposits. Contact Mike Furman at 301.212.4420.
|Corvette Seller Mike Furman and Friends at Corvettes at Carlisle
by Keith Cornett on August 26, 2014
While at the Corvettes at Carlisle show last weekend, we spoke with several sponsors of CorvetteBlogger to get their latest news and to see what we can do to help spread the word to our readers. Little did I know that three of them were working in cahoots to cross promote each other’s offerings at the show and elsewhere. National Corvette sales guru Mike Furman, who singlehandedly sold an estimated 450 Corvette Stingrays during their inaugural year, shares the details in this video interview from Carlisle.
First up, Mike Furman and I discussed the latest news regarding C7 Corvettes including the recent release of pricing for the 2015 Corvette Z06. Mike also talks about his own personal Corvette Stingray, a 2014 Laguna Blue Z51 model. That car has just 700 miles on it and will most likely be for sale soon as Mike will be upgrading to the new Z06 early next year. Why the low miles? Because Mike is always working to sell and deliver new Corvettes to his customers. If you want to be one of them, visit him at his new web address, www.CorvetteFurman.com.
Mike then invited our friend and sponsor Adam Pitale of Adam’s Polishes to talk about a special offer for Mike’s customers. Adam's will be providing new Corvette owners who purchased their Corvettes through Mike Furman a special introductory detailing kit that will help get new and experienced Corvette owners off on the right foot when it comes to caring for their new sports car. Adam’s is the official detailing company for Corvette and Camaro and Adam’s products are used by the workers at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. Check out all the great car care products from Adams at www.AdamsPolishes.com.
Mike then invites Todd Crutcher from Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch to come and talk about the Corvette Owners School discount available to new owners of the Corvette Stingray. Chevy has set up a special discount for new Corvette owners where you can learn how to drive the new Corvette in a safe and controlled environment. The discount is good for exactly one year and your cost is only $1,000 for the two-day school. Take advantage of this special offer today by visiting www.CorvetteOwnersSchool.com.
One more piece of news regarding the Corvette Owners School discount at Spring Mountain from Chevrolet. According to Corvette Marketing Manager Todd Christensen, the program has been extended to purchases of 2015 Corvette Stingrays and Z06s.
Mike Furman demonstrates the procedure for removing and stowing the top on a Stingray Coupe, and taking the top down and up on a Chevy Convertible.
Mike Furman, National Corvette Sales Specialist with Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD, describes the delivery procedure of a carrier-load of new C7 Corvette Stingrays as they arrive.
RE-PRINTED FROM TOPSPEED.COM
Meet Mike Furman, The Man Who Sold 3,000 CorvettesFor a lot of car enthusiasts there tends to be a certain brand or make that “is their life.” We know many fans of Mopar, Ferarri fanatics and plenty of Porschephiles, but in most cases those cars actually have very little to do with a person’s life or well being, beyond fascination.
That doesn’t hold true to Mike Furman. When he says Corvettes are his life, he means it. From the age of 17 when he started working at Malcom Konner Auto Group in New Jersey, Mike has made his living putting Corvettes in other people’s garages. If you ever wanted to get into Corvette sales, Konner was the place. From the early ‘60s until the family sold the dealership in 1991, Konner was the world’s largest Corvette dealer.
To date Mike has sold more than 3,000 Corvettes and in the process has become one of the biggest names in the new Corvette market. He also holds the GM records for most Corvettes delivered in a single month at 57. We caught up with Mike to ask him about his storied sales career and find out where he wants to go next.
Read on to find out what we learned about this super salesman.
Mike made his first Corvette sale, a 1978 model to Cassius De la Victoria of Washington Township, New Jersey, and he has never looked back. People from all over the world come to Mike to place the orders because he does everything he can to make sure you get exactly what you want; a rare trait in today’s auto sales world.
While Mike says that every one of the 3,012 Corvettes he has sold so far are all unique and memorable, he really enjoys the special circumstances and stories he can help create. Some of his favorite sales are when fathers and sons come in together to get new ‘Vettes.
He mentioned a recent sale in which he arranged for two cars to be built around the same time period so that both father and son could partake in the special R8C Corvette Museum Delivery option. The father lived in Tennessee and the son in Minnesota, but they came together, along with a host of family and friends to celebrate the occasion and take delivery of the cars. Arnie Anderson — the father — used to race Corvettes in his youth.
Mike was even able to use his sales talents to secure a relationship. One time a customer named Paul came in and brought his daughter Maureen. Mike promised he wouldn’t ask to date Maureen if Paul purchased a car. Paul was already aware that his daughter fancied Mike, so instead he challenged him to a game of table tennis for the right to date his daughter. Mike won, and he and Maureen were in relationship for a time.
Apart from selling them, Mike also has a certain affliction for parking Corvettes in his own garage. He is currently on his thirteenth Corvette, a 1992 Convertible in Quasar Blue. The car only has 8,075 original miles. Mike also said he already has a deposit down for the 2015 Z06 that was just announced at the Detroit Auto show.
I asked Mike what his dream Corvette would be and he picked a model only a true fan would know about. He wants a ’63 split window coupe with the 36-gallon endurance tank donning a red-on-red color scheme.
Beyond the sales and the customer stories, Mike’s success has given the opportunity to meet some great people and experience some truly special events. Larry Shinoda and Zora Arkus Duntov used to visit the Konner dealership on a regular basis, and Mike was even invited to Le Mans a few times to cheer on the Corvette Racing team.
Spring Mountain Race Track in Pahrump Nevada
In the Pits at Sebring
Currently, Mike is only 53 years old, so he has at least another decade before he hits retirement age. He is hoping he can cross over the 5,000 mark before he hangs up his hat. As a bonus feather in his cap, the Marketing Manager of Criswell, where Mike currently works, is trying to get Mike’s record into the Guinness Book of World Records.
Everyone here at TopSpeed wishes Mike the best of luck, and if you want to buy a new ‘Vette for your garage he can be reached at MFurman@CriswellAuto.com.
The New 2015 Corvette – What Are You Waiting For?
Posted on August 3, 2014 by Rick Tavel
Everything you wanted to know about the new 2015 Corvette but were afraid to ask!
2015 Chevrolet Corvette (Photo courtesy of GM/Chevrolet)
For those of you who have lusted after the new C7 but refused to buy the first year of a new production car we thought it would be a good idea to tell you everything you want (and need) to know about the new 2015 Corvette but were afraid to ask. We thought it would be a help for you to decide just what options and goodies you want on your new Corvette when you place your order. This way you have time to think about it all without the confusion and pressure at the dealership. All the details from the base Stingray to the Atlantic and Pacific designs to the Z06 are listed below. You might want to print it out to keep on hand as you plan the details of your new Stingray, highlighting your choices. That way when you just happen to pass a dealership you can pop in and have all the information at your fingertips to expedite your order.
Of course if you need some help and want to talk to one of the best and most knowledgeable sales consultants out there you’ll want to talk to Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet. Mike is the only new Corvette specialist that has made our recommended LINKS list of only the best Corvette products, sites, and services! That is not to say there aren’t other great Corvette sales associates out there.
What it does say is that to make our list takes something extra and Mike Furman is the most recommended Corvette specialist out there. You can trust us on this. Don’t worry that he is located in Maryland; Mike can arrange delivery for you anywhere in the country.
He’s the “real deal” and an authentic Corvette enthusiast. So call him up if you have any questions after looking this over. And even if you know exactly how you want to order your new Corvette, give him the opportunity to place your order and win your business. He’s not only knowledgeable about Corvettes, he has some great stories he can share as well.
Here’s a link to his site: http://www.corvettefurman.com and his number 301 212 4420. Enjoy.***<<<
Chevrolet Corvette 2015 (Photo courtesy of GM/Chevrolet)
Reprinted From Chevrolet’s Official Site:
2015 CORVETTE STINGRAY BUILDS ON AWARD-WINNING FOUNDATION WITH NEW DESIGN ELEMENTS, TECHNOLOGY AND CONNECTIVITY
The all-new 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was the most awarded car of the year – including being named the 2014 North American Car of the Year. For 2015, the Corvette is even better, with the introduction of the Corvette Z06, all-new eight-speed automatic, Performance Data Recorder, OnStar with 4G LTE and two new design packages.
New models include the return of the Z06, offered in coupe and convertible, as well as new Corvette Stingray Atlantic and Pacific Design Packages. The new Z06 is the most track-capable Corvette ever and is powered by a supercharged 6.2L engine rated at an SAE-certified 650 horsepower (485 kW). Please see the separate Corvette Z06 release for complete details.
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Convertible shot by Dan Wang (Photo: courtesy of Chevrolet/GM)
The distinctive Atlantic and Pacific Design Packages show the personalization range of the Corvette Stingray, and are designed to showcase how it could be configured as a luxury sport GT car (Atlantic) or as a high-performance motorsport car (Pacific).
All 2015 Corvette Stingray and Z06 models are offered with an all-new eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission designed to enhance performance and efficiency. Developed and built by GM, it delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs.
Additional new and revised features for the 2015 Corvette Stingray include:
- New wheel finishes for models with and without the Z51 Performance Package
- Available carbon fiber tonneau inserts for convertible models
- Available Carbon Flash exterior badges
- Available body-color or Shark Gray exterior vents
- Available CFZ carbon fiber ground effects package
- Available ZF1 package includes Z51-style wheels and spoiler without Z51 Performance Package
- Suede-wrapped upper interior trim on 3LT package
- Performance exhaust included with Z51 Performance Package
- Exterior colors: Shark Gray Metallic and Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot enhances Corvette’s connectivity, providing a mobile hub for drivers and passengers with easy access to services that require a high-speed data connection. Its “always on” wireless connection comes with a 3GB/three-month data trial.
The all-new, industry-leading Performance Data Recorder enables users to record high-definition video, with telemetry overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track. It was named Best Automotive Electronics Product at the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show, by Engadget.
Along with all that’s new with the 2015 Corvette Stingray, it carries over an unmatched combination of performance and efficiency. Power comes from the 6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at an SAE-certified 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 460 lb-ft of torque (624 Nm) – and 460 horsepower (343 kW) and 465 lb-ft (630 Nm) with the available performance exhaust system. It enables Z51-equipped models able to accelerate from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds and run the quarter-mile in 12 seconds at 119 mph, while the Corvette’s chassis and suspension features contribute to 1.03g in cornering grip and stop from 60 mph in 107 feet.
The Corvette Stingray backs its performance capability with the greatest efficiency of any sports car on the market with more than 450 horsepower, delivering an EPA-estimated 17 mpg city driving and 29 mpg on the highway with the seven-speed manual transmission.
Corvette Stingray is offered in 1LT, 2LT and 3LT trim levels.
Atlantic and Pacific Design Package Details
The 2015 Corvette Stingray is available in two new Design Packages: the Atlantic luxury convertible and the Pacific performance coupe. Each is designed to showcase how the Stingray can configured as a luxury sport GT car or as a high-performance motorsport car.
The Atlantic Design Package is inspired by the luxury and performance of private jets seen at European vacation destinations. Offered exclusively on Z51-equipped convertibles, it is available in 2LT or 3LT trims, with the following unique features and content:
- Front Z06-style splitter
- Shark Gray exterior vents, hood “stinger” graphic and tonneau inserts
- Chrome Torque wheels with Stingray center caps
- Stingray underhood liner and floor mats
- Custom splash guards, rear license plate frame and logo valve stem caps
- Custom luggage
- Available in all colors offered on the Corvette Stingray
The Pacific Design Package is inspired by West Coast drivers who attend weekend track events. It is offered exclusively as a Z51-equipped coupe, in 2LT and 3LT trims, with the following unique content:
- Offered in Torch Red, Black, Arctic White, Blade Silver and Shark Gray – a new color for 2015
- Satin black full-length racing stripes
- Satin black Z51 wheels with red stripe and Stingray center caps
- “CFZ” carbon fiber ground effects package and visible carbon fiber roof panel
- Carbon Flash rear spoiler, outside mirrors and exterior badges
- Red brake calipers
- Competition Sport Seats in red or black
- Carbon fiber interior trim, Stingray sill plates and Stingray floor mats
- Custom splash guards and rear license plate frame
- Indoor car cover (gray)
Corvette Stingray Design
Corvette Stingray’s provocative exterior styling is as functional as it is elegant. It makes a bold design statement that embraces the advanced technology of the car, while enhancing its overall performance in everything from the wind tunnel to the track.
Lighting is a signature element of the Corvette Stingray’s design and reinforces its high-tech aesthetic. At the front, indirect white LED lamps form a distinctive daytime styling cue. They are set in black-chrome lamp housings with standard HID projector headlamps. The turn signals feature edge-lit amber LED lighting.
The dual-element taillamps feature three-dimensional, sculpted lenses housing innovative indirect LED lighting. The state-of-the-art lighting uses hidden LED lamps that cast their light up from the bottom of the housing into a reverse reflector, creating an even glow. LED lamps are also used for the white backup lamps. The taillamps integrate functional aircraft-style air outlets for the available differential and transmission coolers.
The Corvette Stingray convertible features a fully electronic top that can be lowered remotely using the key fob. The top can also be opened or closed on the go, at speeds of up to 30 mph (50 km/h). Its folding mechanism is all-new and enables the top to be lowered in 21 seconds.
With the top up, the convertible is designed for a refined driving experience. A thick fabric top, along with sound-absorbing padding and a glass rear window, contributes to a quiet cabin and premium appearance.
With the top down, the Corvette Stingray’s signature profile is further accentuated. Behind the seat backs, dual black trim panels enhance the character lines of the tonneau cover. Corvette Stingray’s signature “waterfall” design originates in the valley between the seats, bringing the exterior color into the interior.
All Corvette Stingray models with the Z51 Performance Package feature integral coolers for the rear differential and transmission (the transmission cooler is also included with the optional automatic transmission). For coupe models, the air intakes are integrated on the rear quarter panels; and on convertible models, the air intakes are integrated into the underbody.
Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets. The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability.
Additional exterior features include:
- Heated outside mirrors are standard on all trim levels and a driver’s auto-dimming outside mirror is standard on 2LT and 3LT trims
- Removable carbon fiber roof panel (body color) is standard on all coupes; a transparent roof panel is available
- Visible carbon fiber roof panel is available on 2LT and 3LT
- Dual roof packages including solid and transparent removable roof panels are available on 2LT and 3LT coupes; solid roof offered in body color or carbon fiber
- Exterior badges offered in available Carbon Flash (chrome is standard)
- Stinger-type and dual racing stripe packages are offered in several colors
- 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels are standard on Corvette Stingray. Silver-painted aluminum is standard; chrome, black (new for 2015) and machined black (new for 2015) finishes available
- 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear wheels are standard with the Z51 Performance Package. Silver-painted aluminum is standard; black machined aluminum (new for 2015), chrome and black finishes available
- Available ZF1 package enables Z51 wheels and rear spoiler without the Z51 Performance Package.
Exterior colors: Laguna Blue Tintcoat, Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat, Arctic White, Blade Silver Metallic, Black, Shark Gray Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Torch Red and Night Race Blue Metallic.
Handcrafted, Technologically Advanced Interior
The Corvette Stingray interior blends fine materials and craftsmanship with advanced technologies that contribute to a more connected and more engaging driving experience. Every feature and detail is designed to enhance the driver’s connection to the Corvette, starting with the fighter jet-inspired wraparound cockpit and continuing with supportive seats and high-definition, configurable screens.
A comparatively small, 14.1-inch-diameter (360 mm) steering wheel fosters a more direct, immediate feel to directional inputs. The attention to the driver extends to the smallest details, including the flat, precise stitching on the steering wheel designed to provide a smooth, consistent feel.
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Interior (Photo: courtesy of Chevrolet/GM)
Precise and elegant stitching also is seen in the available Napa leather trim on the seats. Two seating choices are offered: a GT seat for all-around comfort and a Competition Sport seat with more aggressive side bolstering that provides greater support on the track. The frame structure for both seats is made of magnesium for greater strength. Several trim combinations are offered for the seats:
- 1LT: GT seats with perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces or Competition Sport seats with leather seating surfaces and sueded microfiber inserts
- 2LT: GT or Competition Sport seats with perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces; GT or Competition Sport seats with leather seating surfaces and sueded microfiber inserts
- 3LT: GT seats with perforated Napa leather seating surfaces; Competition Sport seats with perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces; GT or Competition Sport seats with leather seating surfaces and sueded microfiber inserts. Also: leather-wrapped instrument panel and suede-wrapped upper trim.
All models feature a fully-wrapped interior, where every surface is covered with premium, soft-touch materials. Available materials, depending on the trim level, include Napa leather, aluminum, carbon fiber and micro-suede. There’s even a micro-LED screen for the passenger’s climate control placed below the vent on the dash, away from the performance features on the instrument panel.
Additional interior features include:
- New Performance Data Recorder (included with the navigation system)
- Color driver information center is standard on all trim levels
- Electric-locking glovebox
- Eight-inch-diagonal color touch radio with Chevrolet MyLink is standard on all trim levels; a navigation system is standard on 3LT and available on 1LT and 2LT. Includes behind-screen storage compartment
- Bose® nine-speaker premium audio system is standard on 1LT
- Bose® 10-speaker premium audio system – with bass box – is standard on 2LT and 3LT
- Head-up display with color readouts – including g-meter in track mode – is standard on 2LT and 3LT
- Keyless access with push-button starting is standard on all trim levels
- Rear-vision camera is standard on all trim levels
- Power tilting/telescoping steering column is standard on all trim levels
- Heated and ventilated seats are standard on 2LT and 3LT
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on all trim levels; and a sueded microfiber-covered steering wheel is included with suede competition sport seats
- Sueded microfiber-wrapped upper interior trim package is standard on 3LT and includes headliner, visors, trim above windshield and rear window, A-pillar trim and area around quarter window
- Interior colors: Gray, Jet Black, Kalahari, Brownstone and Adrenaline Red
2015 Hydra-Matic 8L90 (M5U) Eight-Speed RWD Auto Transaxle for Corvette (Photo: courtesy of Chevrolet/GM)
At the core of the Corvette Stingray’s driver-focused technologies is the cockpit-mounted Driver Mode Selector, which allows drivers to optimize the car for their driving preference and road conditions via five settings: Weather, Eco, Tour, Sport and Track.
The Tour mode is the default setting for everyday driving; Weather mode is designed primarily for added confidence while driving in rain and snow; Eco mode is for achieving optimal fuel economy; Sport mode is for spirited road driving and Track mode is for track use.
Up to 12 performance parameters are adjusted with the selection of each mode, including:
- Gauge cluster configuration: The Tour, Eco and Weather modes feature displays for trip data, audio and navigation; Sport mode shows classic, easy-to-read sports car gauges; and Track mode’s configuration shows a gauge design based on the Corvette Racing C6.R race car display with lap timer
- ETC (Electronic Throttle Control): Adjusts the throttle input curve for the selected mode for improved responsiveness
- Paddle-shift automatic transmission: Adjusts shift comfort and shift points
- Active Fuel Management: in normal mode, the LT1 engine uses V-8 power; in Eco mode the engine can operate in V-4 mode to improve fuel economy until aggressive acceleration is called for
- Exhaust (active exhaust system): The system adjusts the timing of the electronically controlled exhaust valves to enhance audible feedback from the V-8 depending on the drive mode
- Electronic limited-slip differential (Z51): Adjusts the rate at which the limited slip engages, to balance between steering response and stability in different driving conditions; more aggressive performance in Sport and Track modes
- Steering: Assist effort is adjusted in the modes to provide the driver with the correct steering feel for the driving condition
- Magnetic Ride Control: Adjusts shock damping based on road conditions, from optimized comfort to performance driving
- Launch control: Available in Track mode for manual and automatic transmissions, providing maximum off-the-line acceleration
- Active handling (StabiliTrak stability control): A “competitive” setting is available in Track mode and is more suited for on-track conditions. It can also be disabled, giving the driver complete control
- Traction control: Weather mode tailors traction control and engine torque for driving in inclement conditions
- Performance Traction Management: Available in Track mode and offers five settings of torque reduction and brake intervention for track driving.
Three configurable displays, including a pair of eight-inch screens and color head-up display, deliver personalized information and convey the different performance parameters of each drive mode.
The two eight-inch screens offer excellent visibility in direct sunlight, with 650 cd/m2 of brightness for the one integrated into the instrument cluster and 1,000 cd/m2 of brightness for the one in the center stack, making them among the brightest screens in the industry. The screen in the center stack also features touch-screen control with gesture recognition and can be lowered to reveal a hidden storage compartment that includes a USB input for device charging or uploads.
Performance Data Recorder
The award-winning, industry-first Performance Data Recorder – or PDR – enables users to record high-definition video, with telemetry overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track. It was developed with Cosworth, the motorsports-engineering company that supplies the Corvette Racing team’s data acquisition and telemetry electronics system.
The PDR system includes three major components, all seamlessly integrated into the Corvette Stingray’s interior. First is a high-definition camera, mounted within the windshield header trim, which records the driver’s point-of-view through the windshield. Audio is recorded via a dedicated microphone in the cabin.
Second is a self-contained telemetry recorder, which uses a dedicated GPS receiver that operates at 5 hertz, or cycles per second – five times faster than the in-dash navigation system, which allows more precise positioning and corner traces. Finally, the system features a dedicated SD-card slot in the glove box for recording and transferring video and vehicle data. Recording time depends on the capacity of the memory card, but an 8-gigabyte card can record approximately 200 minutes, while a 32-GB card stores up to about 800 minutes – more than 13 hours of driving time.
The PDR system can record video with three data overlay options, each rendered in real time:
- Track Mode – shows the maximum level of data on the screen, including speed, rpm, g-force, a location-based map, lap time and more
- Sport Mode – shows fewer details on the overlay but includes key data including speed and g-force
- Touring Mode – simply records and displays video and audio of the drive with no data overlay
- Performance Mode – records performance metrics, such as 0 to 60 mph acceleration, 1/4-mile speed and elapsed time, and 0-100-0 mph runs.
“Cosworth Toolbox” Software
PDR vehicle data can be opened in the included “Cosworth Toolbox” software. The Toolbox application overlays recorded laps on a satellite map of the track and compares selected laps in detail for any requested point on the drive.
(Photo: courtesy Chevrolet/GM)
The video can be viewed on the Corvette Stingray’s eight-inch color touchscreen when the car is parked, or downloaded to a computer for further editing, and for sharing video via social media sites. For users who want a more in-depth understanding of their performance, the PDR vehicle data can be opened in the included “Cosworth Toolbox” software, which combines Cosworth’s professional-level motorsport data analysis with an easy-to-use graphic interface.
Chevrolet MyLink and OnStar with 4G LTE
Chevrolet MyLink gives customers the best of both worlds when it comes to infotainment. It provides easy, intuitive operation of basic functions, yet it is also highly customizable and capable of linking up to 10 devices such as smartphones, SD cards and MP3 players, giving users more ways of staying connected. It is standard on all trim levels.
Enhanced connectivity and convenience includes a Text Message Alerts feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.), which reads incoming texts through the vehicle’s speakers, and Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users to enhance connectivity and convenience. Each enables voice-controlled connectivity, to help keep phones in pockets and hands on the wheel.
New OnStar with 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers, providing easier access to apps and services that require a high-speed data connection. 4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
Corvette Stingray coupe and convertible take advantage of lightweight materials, advanced manufacturing techniques and technology transfer from the Corvette Racing program to produce an ideal 50/50 weight balance and to deliver world-class power-to-weight ratios.
The technologically advanced foundation is an aluminum frame structure so strong, no structural reinforcements are needed for the convertible model. The only changes are limited to accommodations for the folding top and repositioned safety belt mounts.
The frame features main rails composed of five customized aluminum segments, including aluminum extrusions at each end, a center main rail section and hollow-cast nodes at the suspension interface points. Each segment’s gauge varies in thickness from 2mm to 11mm, tailored – along with the shape – to optimize the strength requirements for each frame section with minimal weight.
The aluminum frame is manufactured using innovative manufacturing processes at GM’s Bowling Green, Ky., assembly plant. The state-of-the-art facility employs several advanced joining technologies to ensure dimensional accuracy within 0.75 mm. Each frame features:
- 439 spot-welds using a GM-patented process that uses a unique electrode designed specifically for aluminum
- 188 Flowdrill-machined fasteners, which are installed by a high-speed drill that extrudes the frame material to create a strong, integral collar that is tapped for bolt-on fasteners
- 113 feet of structural adhesives, used in conjunction with welding and fasteners to increase overall frame stiffness
- 37 feet of laser welds, which join frame sections via a precise beam of high energy that minimizes heat beyond the weld area for improved structural accuracy.
The frame’s greater strength and low weight are complemented by chassis elements also designed for low-mass strength, including hollow-cast aluminum front and rear cradles. Innovative use of materials also includes a standard carbon fiber hood on all Corvette Stingray models, and a carbon fiber roof panel on all coupes. In addition, underbody panels are created with carbon-nano composite technology, an advanced blend of traditional composite material and carbon fiber for reduced weight and improved strength. Fenders, doors, rear quarter panels and the rear hatch panel are made with light-density Sheet Molded Compound.
Performance and Efficiency
The Corvette Stingray’s 455 horses are generated by the LT1 6.2L Small Block V-8 engine, which also produces 460 lb-ft of torque (624 Nm). Its performance comes from combining advanced technologies such as direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously variable valve timing with an advanced combustion system. Z51-equipped models include a dry-sump oiling system.
The LT1 is backed by a choice of active, 2.75-inch-diameter exhaust systems. The standard system features a pair of butterfly valves that contribute to greater refinement at cruising speeds when the engine is operating in fuel-saving V-4 mode. The available performance variable-mode active exhaust system has two additional valves that open to a lower-restriction path through the mufflers. When open, these valves increase engine performance and produce a more powerful exhaust note – while also raising the engine’s output to 460 horsepower (343 kW) and 465 lb-ft of torque (630 Nm).
The LT1 is offered with an all-new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching. It incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature can be easily engaged or disengaged via paddles on the steering wheel. The seven-speed is used with a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia. The transmission with the Z51 Performance Package includes specific close-ratio gearing for more aggressive driving.
New for 2015 is an available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission. Designed and built by GM, the new 8L90 transmission delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs. It is also expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared to the previous six-speed automatic. EPA fuel economy test results are pending and will be announced later.
The new eight-speed makes the Corvette Stingray one of the few sports cars to offer a conventional manual transmission and an eight-speed automatic.
The Corvette Stingray’s chassis and suspension are designed to take advantage of the lighter, stiffer structure. Its rigidity allowed engineers to more precisely tune the suspension and steering for a more nimble and responsive driving experience. The components and their calibrations – from the brake size and damper rates to the steering system – are identical between coupes and convertible.
A racing-proven short/long-arm suspension design is used front and rear, with lightweight complementing components that include hollow lower control arms and aluminum rear toe links.
The Corvette Stingray rides on 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels, while models with the Z51 Performance Package roll on 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear forged aluminum wheels – all shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport run-flat tires developed specifically for the seventh-generation Corvette. As a result, the Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package is capable of 1.03g in cornering acceleration.
Additional Suspension Features:
Dampers – includes standard 35mm-piston Bilstein monotube shocks that connect to dual-path aluminum shock mounts that separate the shock rod and shock body load paths. The Z51 Performance Package comes with 45mm-piston Bilstein dampers for more aggressive body control and track capability. Z51 is available with the third-generation Magnetic Ride Control, which features a twin-wire/dual-coil damper system that reacts 40 percent faster than previous generations, enabling improved ride comfort and body control.
Steering – Electric power steering offers variable ratios and variable effort to tailor responsiveness and feel for each driving situation. It also delivers precise control and feedback to the driver, along with great variability of effort for high-performance driving, as well as excellent on-center sensitivity and linearity.
Axle – A smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm that factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction.
The eLSD is fully integrated with Electronic Stability Control and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:
- Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
- Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
- Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management.
Brakes – Standard Brembo brakes, with four-piston fixed calipers derived from racing, deliver exceptional stopping power on the street or track. System highlights include:
- 12.6-inch (320 mm) front rotors and 13.3-inch (338 mm) rear rotors are standard and have 35-percent more swept area than previous-generation brakes. Consequently, stopping distance is improved 9 percent
- Dual-cast, slotted 13.6-inch (345 mm) front rotors and 13.3-inch (338 mm) slotted rear rotors are included with Z51 Performance Package. They have 6-percent more swept area than the previous-generation Grand Sport and are cooled front and rear for improved track capability. Consequently, stopping distance is improved 5 percent
- All brake packages have fixed four-piston front and rear calipers that are stiffer for more even pad wear, reduced drag and improved modulation.
The Corvette Stingray is built at GM’s Bowling Green, Ky., assembly plant.
SOURCE: Chevrolet www.chevrolet.com
Let me know how I can help you find your Corvette today.
Mike Furman 888-737-3537